Public education has old traditions in our town. At the end of the 19th century more schools operated in Orosháza and its suburbs. More and more children went to school due to the growth of the population. Because of financial reasons the churches were not able to expand the schools, moreover they closed some. After this the local government took over the duty of the church in schooling obligation. On 13th November 1900 the local government decided to ask the Religious and Educational Ministry to build a school with six classrooms or allow to build it. The school was finished on 1st September 1902. The village had it built and furnished it on the place of the present central building. Nine member schools belonged to the institution. In 1902 549 and in 1907 722 students went to school. From 1907 there were 12 classrooms and there 80 students could learn in comfortable classes. The school already had a 3-part choir in 1909. No gym was built until 1998. In 1938 for 47 Romany students extra lessons were held. This tradition continues on the national-ethnic upgrading lessons even today.

n 1941 teaching began in the 7th next year in the 8th grade. Children in the 9th year had to go to revision classes. In 1941 academic teaching in subject groups began in the 7th and 8th grades. In the central building the teaching was in the morning because the apprentice training school used the classrooms in the afternoon. Teaching in the suburbs began on 15th October and finished on 15th April because of agricultural works. The vocational supervision acknowledged the vocational work proceeding in the school, kept it in mind as one of the best schools of the neighborhood. Excellent teachers whose pedagogic, literature, musical, folklore writings appeared in nationwide newspapers (Balassa János, Kadosa Oszkár, Nagy József, Nagy Gyula, Blahó József) taught here. In 1944 36 teachers worked in this school.

After World War II some organizational changes happened. Farm schools detached and instead of them, smaller buildings near the school in Vörösmarty Street were joined to the main building where lower level students learned. The students’ number was increasing up to the middle of 1980s when there were 1020 students in 31 classes and 15 day-care groups existed. The school year 1954-55 was a historic mile in the life of the school: at this time with the help of talented music teachers such as Dr. Elek Lászlóné and Juhos Lenke, Baranyi János principal, the second music department of Hungary was formed. Since that time many and many young people with rich in soul, responsive for culture has left school. More than a hundred people went to higher musical education and they became well-known musicians, opera singers and instrumentalists of Hungary or became college, kindergarten or music teachers. Our choir has performed in many European countries and won awards and still one of the main features of the musical life of our town.

In 1989 German and in 1991 English language teaching began. Both languages are still taught in small groups. In 1991 the first computer was bought. In 1992 the Informatics department was launched. Informatics is learnt by every student but in the department in a higher number of lessons.

In 1998 with the support of the local government the resurrection of the main building began. After the expansion on 3rd September 1999 we could occupy our new modern building. The 97-year-teaching in several smaller units was over and from the 1st September 1999 students from 1 to 8, in 24 classes can learn together in one building. The sports hall was also finished with its 288 m2 and we were given a sport ground. The staff trains the students for healthy lifestyle and the ability of protecting and loving nature. We make an effort in our daily work to plant into today's youth the ancestors’ legacy, the triple activity of the human mind without which the man is not a man: the sense, the affection of the human beauty and the human honour.

The year 2002 passed in terms of the centennial program series
Students’ weeks, school history exhibitions, publishing memorial album, name giving ceremony took place in autumn.
In 2004 Vörösmarty award was founded, which is given to the 8th graders every year.
From the school year 2006/2007 children can have dinner in our new dining hall.
On 1st July 2007 according to the order of the maintainer all governmental schools in Orosháza were joined together. Vörösmarty Primary School lives on as a member institute.
On 1st August 2008 Kardoskút Member Institute joined altogether with the Pedagogic Service Member Institute.

What are the most important customs of our school?